Rent the Miller-Claytor House!
Small groups will find the Miller-Claytor House to be a perfect setting for meetings, luncheons, parties or receptions. In the warmer months, the garden and veranda-style porch are also available to accommodate larger gathers.
Downstairs in the house there are two rooms furnished with period furniture. Upstairs, there is a bath, small kitchen and another room that could be used as a dressing room. The house holds a maximum of 45 people. Miller-Claytor is both heated and air conditioned and has reliable W-Fi. Unfortunately, is not handicapped accessible.
Parking is available nest door or in the Riverside Park. For more information call the Foundation office at 434/528-5353. The House is open by appointment, the garden is open year round.
Miller-Claytor Garden Information
The Lynchburg Garden Club’s connection to the Miller-Claytor House dates back to 1936 when the club decided to take on the development of a garden and asked the renowned Richmond landscape architect Charles F. Gillette to design the plan. The garden was planted in 1940 and lovingly cared for by the Garden Club members. Some 10 years later the garden was restored to its original 18th century design. In 1947 in recognition of their on-going care of the Miller-Claytor Garden, The Lynchburg Garden Club received the Massie Medal for Distinguished Achievement, the oldest and most prestigious award given by The Garden Club of Virginia.
Today, almost 70 years since it was conceived, the Miller-Claytor Garden remains an on-going project of the Lynchburg Garden Club. It serves as a tribute to those members who originally planned and planted the garden and to those who have nurtured it through the years.