The History Of Court Hill House

lynchburg old post cards

Lynchburg, located on the James River in the southern Piedmont area, was first settled by Quakers from Pennsylvania and the Tidewater area of Virginia in the 1750s. John Lynch, the merchant for whom the city is named, helped to establish the settlement along the James River with the construction of Lynch’s Ferry in 1757. By […]

Monument Terrace in Lynchburg Virginia

Monument Terrace was originally conceived as a city project in the early 1880s. August Forsberg, the city engineer, was asked to provide a better route for citizens to move along the steep hill between Court and Church Streets. Forsberg designed a series of steps and landings from Court Street that culminated in a semicircular staircase […]

The Appomattox Court House and Battlefield

Courthouse-ls_9881

Appomattox Court House National Historical Park is comprised of many of the village’s original historic structures, along with several reconstructed buildings on approximately 1,700 acres in rural Virginia. The Wilmer McLean home, where the surrender was signed, is open to the public.  A driving tour and several trails cover the battlefield. It was eight days […]